A business development professional has three primary responsibilities:
1. Identifying new sales leads
2. Pitching products and/or services
3. Maintaining successful and effective relationships with existing customers
When it comes to generating leads, day-to-day duties typically include:
- Researching organisations and individuals online (especially via social media channels) to
identify new leads and potential new markets
- Researching the needs of other companies and reaching their key decision makers.
- Contacting potential clients via email or phone to establish rapport and set up meetings
- Partnering with the Marketing Lead to plan and oversee new marketing initiatives
- Networking; attend conferences, meetings, and industry specific events to maintain current and
valuable industry insight.
When it comes to the challenge of actually selling, other typical duties include:
- Preparing PowerPoint presentations and sales displays
- Contacting clients to inform them about new developments in the company’s products
- Prepare quotes and proposals
- Negotiating and renegotiating by phone, email, and in person.
To develop and maintain healthy relationships with clients requires regular socialising. From simple chats on the phone, to lunches, events and conferences. A true Business Development Manager will
strive to keep their customers happy. Another key part of your role is to ensure that you create and manage accurate documentation in relation to your role and clients. Business Development professionals are also required to write reports and provide feedback to the Management team on your Territory (what is working and what is not working).
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Engage in regular meetings with the wider sales team to analyse pipeline as well as ensuring
your pipeline is on track with the businesses expectation.
- Work closely with the Marketing team to develop, support and deliver successful campaigns
across your territory.
- Remain fair and impartial when if you should find yourself faced with conflict, but also knowing
when to escalate.
- Strive for excellence.
- Proactive engagement with internal stakeholders to drive business results.
- Be an engaging and skilled communicator, that is able to convey clear and concise message to
- Demonstrate strong commercial acumen focusing on both current and tactical priorities in line
with business goals.
- Ensure that you are up to date with developments within the Standards industry and be able
explain the Standards Development process to customers.
- Able to apply product features and benefits to customer needs in order to win business.
- Able to apply knowledge of competitors to explain the full business advantages of BSI products.
Do you believe the world deserves excellence?
BSI (British Standards Institution) the leading global standards and certification company, equips businesses with the necessary solutions to turn standards of best practice into habits of excellence.
Renowned for its marks of excellence including the consumer recognized BSI Kitemark™, BSI’s influence spans multiple sectors including Aerospace, Automotive, Built Environment, Food, Healthcare
and ICT. With over 81,000 clients in 172 countries, BSI is an organization whose standards inspire excellence across the globe.
- Qualified to Degree level or equivalent.
- Proven continued high achievements in a new business sales environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as good interpersonal skills
- Proven track record in successful business to business sales and winning new customers
- Excellent sales, negotiation and presentation skills
- Entrepreneurial mind set - self-motivated and adaptable, able to work on your own initiative.
- Strong upselling skills
- Ability to develop ‘Executive level’ relationships and engage with the customer to establish an understanding of their business drivers and how BSI can be a part of making them resilient.
- Strong organisational and problem solving skills
- Experience of working in a KPI driven environment - results orientated
- Demonstrate a genuine passion for the business, communicating; sharing and acting upon a meaningful vision for the future
- Arabic language is desirable
- Strong knowledge of the Food sector across the GCC is desirable